MIDIBox SID Project Blog


Your Proven DOUT

Saturday, January 13, 2018

I finished up the DIN board. No shorts, but it seems like it would just take some jump wires being pushed a little one way or another to cause one so I'll need to be careful with how I installed it.

New Year's in the Matrix

Monday, January 1, 2018

Added the two 8 pin headers to the DIN board that will connect back to the main PCB. I connected the horizontal jump wire rows to the pin headers. I had some wires refuse to cooperate (that is, I can't control my shit) I'm surprised these joins work and despite that based on the pictures I think I might go back and clean these up.

The Solder Ball Drops

Sunday, December 31, 2017

Almost finished the DIN matrix today; one row left. The pads that I had accidentally solder when I just started soldering the board were a pain because they used the old crappy solder and didn't want to melt at first, but I managed to avoid shorts. Not so fortunately not all the pinheaders are connected according to my continuity testing,

Fuck Everything, and Not In The Good Way

Saturday, December 30, 2017

My control surface layout continues to change. My earlier thought was to have the buttons on the perimeter of the keyboard area with the knobs in the middle (thinking its better to have the buttons closer to the LEDs) but now that I want to add labeling to the case it makes more sense to have the knobs on the perimeter so I can label them since knobs have no labels on them but the buttons, sort of, do.

Back to the Base

Saturday, December 23, 2017

I purchased another 6581 SID bringing me to a total of three 6581s and two 8580s. My ultimate goal, should I desire to go "all the way" would be 4 of each which would net me 2 6581 stereo pairs and 2 8580 stereo pairs.